Thursday, January 10, 2013

PMS Truffles


mmmm, these are delicious (and healthy).  I don't know the science behind our monthly cycles, I do know that personally there are times during the month when I feel extra hungry, sometimes down and in need of chocolate....or anything sweet ......or anything I can cram into my mouth.  So when I saw this recipe for PMS bites I knew I would try it this month.  I changed the original recipe by adding a bit of peanut butter and honey.  And they really are delicious.  Even my three year snagged one of these after I took the picture and her review was  "they taste like chocolate chips!"  They have a rich flavour and pretty simple to make.

Here's how to make them,

Ingredients
1 1/2 c. dates
1tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c. cocoa powder
1/4 c. unsweetened coconut
2tbsp. ground flax seed
1/2 c. pecans
1 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. peanut butter

Method
Add the dates to a food processor and blend them until they're quite broken up.  Add the pecans and pulse to break them up, then add the remaining ingredients and blend until the mixture looks well combined.  Dump the mixture onto a piece of wax paper, take about a tablespoon of the mixture and shape it into a ball in your hands, continue doing this until you've used up all the mixture, allow them to chill in the fridge for a bit.  You can eat them just like this or roll them in some more cocoa powder, this makes them a bit more decadent.

I like to keep things pretty simple so after mixing my ingredients I just shaped the mixture into a log and wrapped it in wax paper, when the cravings hit I just slice off a piece to enjoy and put it back into the fridge.

No comments: